Saturday, February 6, 2010

Flying into Palawan


The island province of Palawan is considered to hold some of the Philippines most magnificent landscapes and island destinations. Located between the South China Sea and Sulu Sea it is an endless landscape decorated with pristine beaches, crystal clear water, palm trees, and natural wonders. In a nutshell, it is the ultimate island destination and in my humble opinion rivals the top exotic island destinations around the world.

I have been fortunate enough to explore and photograph this amazing place and will be sharing my discoveries in hopes that future travelers will put this destination on the top of their list. I discovered how beautiful Palawan really was before I even set foot on the ground. The aerial views from my airplane window reminded me of a beautiful piece of abstract art with undulating shapes and shades of blue and green.





My journey began in the city of Cebu, Philippines where I boarded a small 4 passenger plane with my two friends Angie and Patrick. Being that this was my first experience in such a small plane, I have to admit I was a bit anxious.
Once airborne, I quickly got the sensation I was flying in an airplane not much bigger than a toy. Not to mention we were loaded down with photography equipment strategically squeezed in the back and I began to question whether I should have packed that extra lens and lights.


I grabbed my camera and started shooting and felt myself begin to relax and focus on the task at hand and before I knew it we were descending through the clouds and preparing to land. Palawan's main airport for travelers is located in Puerto Princessa but today I landed in the new airport that is currently being constructed in San Vincente and has a promising future to be one of the main airports on the island.


We were greeted by a van transport and hoped in for a 2 hour scenic ride to a nice little resort called Palawan 360.